Summer is the perfect time to visit the NT. The waterfalls are bigger, the waterholes are deeper and the sunsets are fantastic. And the best part is, it’s the time of year that the Territory is on sale. Do the NT for less this summer. Check out all the great activities on offer and grab a deal below to have a summer well spent!
- Top End Adventure 2 Nights at the Hilton Darwin, Full breakfast daily FREE Bottle of wine on arrival 2 Nights at Mary River Wilderness Retreat in a Bush Bungalow 2 Nights at Mecure Kakadu Crocodile Hotel, full breakfast daily 7 days AVIS 4WD hire
- Darwin and Katherine Highlights 2 Nights at Hilton Darwin, Full Breakfast Daily Bottle of wine on arrival 2 Nights at Cicada Lodge, Katherine Sunset drinks and canapes each evening between 6pm - 7pm FREE Nitnit dreaming cruise (2 hours) 5 Days AVIS 4WD hire...and more!
- Red Centre Highlights 3 Nights at Voyages Desert Gardens Hotel FREE Indigenous Guest Activities program Field of Light Star Pass 1 Night a Kings Canyon Resort FREE $50 fuel offer 2 Nights at Double Tree by Hilton, Alice Springs 7 DAYS Avis 4WD Hire...and more!
- Uluru & Kings Canyon Self Drive 2 Nights at Voyages Desert Gardens Hotel FREE Indigenous Guest Activites Program 1 Night at Kings Canyon Resort FREE $50 Fuel Offer 1 Night at Voyages Desert Gardens Hotel 5 Days AVIS 4WD hire...and more!
- A Taste of Darwin 3 Nights at Vibe Hotel Darwin, Full Breakfast Daily $20 Hotel Restaurant voucher HALF DAY Darwin City Sights tour with AAT Kings (4 hours) Charles Darwin Sunset Buffet Dinner Cruise (2 hours) FULL DAY Litchfield National Park Waterfalls Tour with AAT Kings (10.5 hours)
- Top End Discovery Self Drive 2 Nights at Mercure Crocodile Hotel Yellow Water Cruise (1.5 hours) 2 Nights at Ibis Styles, Katherine Nitnit Dreaming cruise (2 hours) 1 Night at Lake Bennett Wilderness Resort in Resort Suite 6 days AVIS car hire...and more!
- Alice Springs Adventure 3 Nights a Lasseters Hotel in a Deluxe Room Includes 1 FREE nights $25 food and beverage credit HALF DAY a Town Like Alice with AAT Kings (4 hours) FULL DAY Palm Valley 4WD Outback Safari with AAT Kings (10 hours)
- Alice Springs Escape 2 nights at Double Dree by Hilton Continental Breakfast Daily FREE in-room Wi-Fi FREE bottle of wine on arrival Return Alice Springs transfers
- Swim/Lunch/Cocktails at Lasseters Hotel Casino Enjoy a cocktail or a bite to eat by the pool at Lasseters Hotel with spectacular views of the West MacDonnell Ranges.
- Swim the Waterholes of the West MacDonnell Ranges Picturesque swimming holes are located at Ellery Creek Big Hole, Ormiston Gorge, Glen Helen Gorge and Redbank Gorge in the West Macs. They are great places to cool off on a warm day and relax under a shady tree.
- Afternoon Swim and Sunset Canapes at Glen Helen Homestead Lodge Glen Helen Gorge is a great place to take a cool dip in waters of the Finke River and admire the spectacular views of the towering sandstone walls.
- Curtin Springs Station Curtin Springs Station offers a perfect base from which to visit the Uluru and Kings Canyon areas. Explore their million acre property on a walking tour or take part in their paper making tour experience.
- Old Ambalindum Homestead Immerse yourself in the spectacular scenery of this original working cattle station with its excellent four-wheel driving and stunning bush walks.
- Outback Cycling Set off on your pedal-powered tour of Alice Springs via a great network of cycling pathways, or hire a mountain bike and go beyond the city limits.
- Mt Conner 4WD Outback adventure Tour – SEIT Outback Australia Get away from the crowds on a quintessential Aussie four-wheel drive outback experience to Mt Conner, the third icon of the Red Centre, situated on a vast, fully operational, privately-owned cattle station (Curtin Springs Station), 90 kilometres from Uluru.
- Helicopter tour over Kings Canyon Dash out on a whirlwind flight over Kings Canyon for a photo opportunity, or take a longer trip to spot wild brumbies and camels over Peterman Pound.
- Early morning skydive over Uluru The experience is guaranteed to set your pulse racing, combining the spectacular views of Uluru, Kata Tjuta and far beyond with the rush of jumping out of a plane.
- Sunrise/Sunset Uluru Motorcycle Tours This unforgettable once in a lifetime experience combines the breathtaking beauty of Uluru with the thrill of being a passenger on a prestigious Harley Davidson motorcycle.
- Hot Air Balloon ride over the West Macs Float high over the Outback and be treated to the spectacular colours of sunrise over the MacDonnell Ranges, followed by a picnic breakfast.
- Sunset Camel Ride with Pyndan Camel Tracks A camel ride against the backdrop of the beautiful West MacDonnell Ranges is a signature Red Centre experience and a must do for travellers visiting Alice Springs.
- Darwin Harbour Cruises To appreciate Darwin's pristine and expansive harbour, climb aboard a beautifully presented schooner or stunning multi-level catamaran and enjoy an unforgettable cruise with Darwin Harbour Cruises.
- Sea Darwin Sea Darwin offers a range of interactive eco cruise experiences exploring Darwin Harbour and the surrounding saltwater country.
- Heli-tours over Katherine (Nitmiluk) Gorge Whether it’s an intense 3 gorge buzz, a breathtaking 8 gorge flight or an aerial journey over all 13 gorges, there’s a scenic helicopter flight to suit everyone’s desires and budget.
- Katherine (Nitmiluk) Gorge cruises Cruise along Katherine River through Nitmiluk National Park, moving deeper into the ever changing landscapes of the stunning Katherine Gorge and learn about the history of the local indigenous people.
- Magela Wetlands Wet Season Cruise on the East Alligator River The Guluyambi Magela Wetlands Wet Season Cruise uses expert Aboriginal guides and provides guests with an insight into local Aboriginal mythology, the wetland’s abundant food chain and traditional survival skills.
- Cage of Death at Croc Cove For the ultimate adrenalin rush hop into the Cage of Death and come face-to-face with some of the largest saltwater crocodiles in captivity.
- Top End Heli Pub Tour Be chauffeured by air and visit some of the Top End’s quintessential pubs in style.
- The ‘Ultimate Tour’ with Outback Floatplanes A spectacular floatplane landing, an airboat ride and a scenic helicopter flight over the Litchfield National Park. See the Top End’s unique wildlife up close.
- Jetboating at Katherine Gorge Explore Nitmiluk National Park as you enjoy a thrilling ride on the high water levels through to the first 3 of the 13 gorges, calved deep into the sandstone cliffs by the constant flow of the Katherine River over thousands of years.
- Swimming & Dining at Darwin’s Waterfront Darwin Waterfront's cafes and restaurants offer plenty of opportunities to refuel after a morning swim, linger over a luxurious lunch, or stop for a sundowner.
- Scenic Helicopter Flight over Jim Jim and Twin Falls – Kakadu Air Services Kakadu is famous for many things, but a must-see wet season experience is the sight of the surging waters of Jim Jim Falls and Twin Falls. These mighty rock formations, accessible only from the air at this time of the year, make for unforgettable viewing.
- Darwin Military Museum Adults $18 Come to the Military Museum and find out the fascinating history of Darwin's war time involvement during WW2. Located at picturesque East Point Reserve, just 10 minutes drive from the city centre, this unique collection of artillery is housed in the original concrete bunker used by the army to plan the strategy for the wartime defence of Australia's northern shores.
- Early morning Kings Creek Walk FREE The Kings Creek Walk meanders up the centre of the canyon to a lookout point on the left hand side of the valley, with views of the sheer cliff face at the end of the canyon. This walk is suitable for all ages.
Territory Wildlife Park, Goose Lagoon
The Wildlife Park gives visitors authentic and up-close encounters with the animals and plants of the Top End.
- Visit Bitter Springs and Rainbow Springs FREE Lay back in the spring-fed thermal pools amid palms and tropical woodlands in Elsey National Park, found by surveyors for the Overland Telegraph Line.
- Lazy Lizard Tavern, Pine Creek Under $10 This unique outback tavern is brimming with character and is built from mud brick and local timber with historic touches throughout. Make sure you try the famous homemade banana and passionfruit ice cream!
- Picnic and swim at Edith Falls FREE Enjoy a refreshing swim in the paperbark and pandanus fringed natural pool at the base of the falls.
- Spectacular Jumping Crocodile Cruise Adults $35 On a Spectacular Jumping Crocodile Cruise travellers can see saltwater crocodiles up close in their natural habitat.
Admire the ancient art sites at Nourlangie
The walls of the Nourlangie Rock Art Site have served as a shelter and canvas for thousands of years. The paintings are a window to a rich spiritual tradition and can be reached by the circular 1.5 kilometre Nourlangie Rock Art Walk.
Entry to Kakadu National Park: $25 (16 years and older)
Watch the sun set over Ubirr
Time your visit for a spectacular and unforgettable tropical sunset from the rocky outcrop at Ubirr.
Entry to Kakadu National Park: $25 (16 years and older)
- Swim and picnic at Florence Falls and Buley Rockhole FREE Located in Litchfield National Park, Florence Falls and Buley Rockhole are popular spots for a cool dip. Wade through the pools, absorb the surrounds or sit back and relax with a picnic lunch.
Tolmer Falls lookout
Stand on the viewing platform in Litchfield National Park to see the water cascading over escarpments into a deep plunge pool, and continue walking to rock pools above the falls.
Admire the thunderous falls at Wangi
Choose the walking track that best suits your ability through lush monsoonal rainforest to the postcard-perfect swimming hole for an invigorating dip.
- Swim the Southern Rockhole at Nimiluk Be rewarded with an amazing view and refreshing dip at the Southern Rockhole at Katherine (Nitmiluk) Gorge after an 8.5km return walk.
- Aquascene Fish Feeding Adults $15 Take part in the daily fish feeding ritual at Doctors Gully in the heart of Darwin, where hundreds of fish come to shore at high tide to be hand fed.
- Nightcliff Markets FREE Unwind in the ambience of the Nightcliff Markets every Sunday, unearthing unusual bargains and unique gifts, while taking in the sights and sounds of local entertainment.
- Rapid Creek Markets FREE Visit Darwin’s oldest market and browse a variety of stalls for fresh organic produce, Asian fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices, exotic plants, flowers and seafood.
- Parap Markets FREE This Saturday morning market has become an institution and ritual among locals who just could not survive a weekend without their Saturday morning laksa, satay prawns or fresh tropical smoothie.
- Visit Darwin’s CBD FREE Wander down Darwin's Smith Street Mall in the CBD. You can choose to window shop, or take home a touch of the Top End with artworks, fashion and souvenirs from a range of unique boutiques and galleries.
- Darwin Harbour Cruise Adult $35 Sea Darwin Harbour Highlights cruise is a one hour interactive cruise on Darwin Harbour. The cruise departs from Stokes Hill wharf and takes in the unique habitat, history and intrigue of Darwin Harbour.
- Museum & Art Gallery of the NT FREE Set in a tropical garden on the Darwin Harbour at Bullocky Point, the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory provides visitors with an insight into the region’s art, history and culture.
- Pizza at Lola’s Pergola Under $25 Discover Darwin’s funkiest new bar overlooking the popular Cullen Bay.
- World War II Oil Storage Tunnels Adults $7 Follow a guide through the oil storage tunnels near the Darwin Wharf Precinct, built during World War II and now home to a series of wartime photos.
- Alley Cats Patisserie Under $25 Alley Cats are an Artisan Patisserie located in the Darwin CBD specialising in yummy treats such as Organic Sourdoughs, Croissants, Danishes, pastries and traditional sweets.
- Crocosaurus Cove Adults $35 For a closer look at Australia's iconic and fascinating saltwater crocodile, head to Crocosaurus Cove. It houses some of the largest crocodiles in the world, as well as a display of 70 reptile species found in the Top End.
- Breakfast at Four Birds Cafe Under $25 This hidden gem boasts a tasty menu and awesome coffee. Enjoy the laid back atmosphere and quirky style.
- Recreational Lagoon at Darwin’s Waterfront FREE Dive into the saltwater lagoon or lounge under the trees at Darwin’s safest beach.
- Wave pool at Darwin’s Waterfront FREE Catch a wave at Darwin’s coolest Waterfront attraction, the Wave Pool. Take the kids for a perfect family fun day of swimming, tubing and relaxing.
- Sunset at Mindil Beach FREE Soak up the tropical night air and enjoy an iconic Darwin sunset from Mindil Beach.
- Walk by Stokes Hill Wharf & The Waterfront FREE Drift along Wharf One's row of restaurants and shops, by the lagoon, or head further afield to Stokes Hill Wharf, a favourite fishing and fish-and-chip spot and popular starting point for harbour cruises.
- Storm watching at the Sailing Club FREE Moor yourself at Darwin Sailing Club for spectacular views of the afternoon storms rolling in across Fannie Bay. The Club is an ideal spot for a social drink at sunset and the bistro's brunch, lunch and dinner menu provides the perfect excuse to linger longer.
- Swim at Lake Mary Ann FREE Lake Mary Ann is a cool oasis, located just five kilometres north of Tennant Creek. This man-made lake is a pleasant surprise in the rugged Central Australian environment, offering an ideal picnic spot for locals and tourists alike.
- Poolside Cocktail at Lasseters Hotel From $14 Enjoy a cocktail by the pool at Lasseters Hotel or take a refreshing swim with spectacular views of the West MacDonnell Ranges.
- Sunset at Karlu Karlu (Devils Marbles) FREE Bring your camera and capture the dramatic scene of the marbles glowing red and changing colour as the sun sets.
- Lunch at Curtin Springs Station Under $25 Curtin Springs offers a perfect base from which to visit Ayers Rock and Kings Canyon area. Stop in to enjoy their authentic homestyle meals. The historic Bough Shed offers the perfect place for a cold beer, hot cuppa or meal.
- Kata Tjuta – Valley of the winds walk Entry $25 The longest of all trails at Kata Tjuta is the Valley of the Winds Walk. It’s a moderately difficult track, 7.4km in length, with breathtaking views. Entry Fees into Uluru Kata Tjuta National Park: 3 day pass: $25.00 Visitors under 16 FREE
- Uluru Viewing Platform Entry $25 Pinch yourself when you finally stand in front of Uluru. Whatever you do, don’t miss a sunset or sunrise, which is when the colours of Uluru are at their most spectacular. Entry Fees into Uluru Kata Tjuta National Park: 3 day pass: $25.00 Visitors under 16 FREE
- Rim Walk at Kings Canyon FREE Rise early to beat the heat and lace up your hiking boots and explore the 6km Rim Walk. It’s a must see for those seeking magnificent views of the canyon rim, the weathered domes of ‘The Lost City’ and the lush ‘Garden of Eden’.
- Simpsons Gap FREE Take photos among the towering cliffs at Simpsons Gap. Situated only 18km west of Alice Springs, Simpsons Gap is the perfect place to spot resident wildlife, enjoy walking trails and spectacular views of the ranges.
- Redbank Gorge FREE Float on an airbed down the year round cold waters of Redbank Gorge. This stunning gorge and chasm is a refuge for many threatened plant and animal species.
- Ormiston Gorge FREE Marvel at the view of the gorge from the Ghost Gum look out before descending to the near permanent waterhole for a refreshing swim.
- Swim and Picnic at Ellery Creek Big Hole FREE Take a dip at one of the most popular and picturesque spots in the West MacDonnell Ranges National Park and relax afterwards with a pre-packed picnic by the waterhole.
- Lunch at Glen Helen Homestead Lodge Under $20 Tantalise your taste buds with the infamous Glen Helen Burger at Glen Helen Homestead Lodge overlooking the gorge. You'll be spoilt for choice other great burger and lunch selections available.
- Coffee in the Todd Mall Under $6 Todd Mall in Alice Springs is the place to go in search of great coffee. Stop at one of the many trendy cafes and start your day with a hot beverage.
- Alice Springs Art Galleries FREE Get a glimpse into the art, culture and heritage of Central Australia by visiting one of the many galleries in Alice Springs. Discover dot paintings and watercolours by some of Australia’s most successful and prominent Aboriginal artists.
- Alice Springs Reptile Centre Adult $16.50 The Alice Springs Reptile Centre specialises in things that hiss and slither, which are rare, impossible, or undesirable to come across in the wild. Home to over 100 reptiles, the centre runs daily hands on tours for visitors.
- Alice Springs Desert Park – Nocturnal Tour Adults $44 Things get a bit wild around here at night! 1.5 Hour spotlighting tour in the MacDonnell Ranges, under a starlit sky. Expert guides will they take you on a walking tour to meet some of the true characters of the outback such as Bilby, Mala and Echidnas.
- Anzac Hill FREE Anzac Hill is the ideal spot for panoramic views of Alice Springs. Take in the view of the town and surrounding ranges from the memorial dedicated to all those who have served in the defence of their country.
- Olive Pink Botanical Gardens FREE The Olive Pink Botanical Gardens is Australia’s only arid zone botanic garden. Admire the spectacular range of plant species on one of the many walking trails around the garden or stop for a bite to eat at the Bean Tree Café.
- Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve Adults $9.50 Discover the original site of the first European settlement in Alice Springs and wander through the restored stone buildings dating back to the late 1800’s.
- Royal Flying Doctor Service Museum Adults $12.50 Learn about the iconic history of the Royal Flying Doctor Service and its founder John Flynn at the tourist facility in Alice Springs.
- “Darwin in the Wet” – by Sue Moffitt Darwin in the Wet is a travelogue and guide book featuring the wet season. The book captures the magic of the Wet with beautiful photographs to enhance journeys and experiences in and around Darwin as well as to Litchfield, Kakadu and Katherine. Grab your copy today!